Thursday, February 2, 2012

One Round of Therapeutic Thursdays...

Last year I started something with my AP Class called Therapeutic Thursdays. Thursday is my very favorite day of the week. It has all the anticipation of the weekend with none of the dread feeling of it slipping away. I decided that, in order to incorporate a regular student-centered activity and also to expose them to a book that I did not have a class set or NOR did I have time for them all to read, I would start an every Thursday activity. Students are partnered together and they select a chapter out of either How to Read Literature like a Professor or How to Read Novels like a Professor , which they then present to the class and lead the class in discussion. They are also responsible for bringing food and drinks that day. The food can range from very simple to as complex as they wish. Because I now have my class only 45 min a day all year, each group has a Therapeutic Thursday every other Thursday. (And yes, I get to eat EVERY Thursday...) :)

Last week, we had Chinese food (with chopsticks) and discussed the creation of and identification with characters in novels.


This week, we discussed Ghosts, Werewolves, and Vampires in literature and enjoyed chips and dip and some incredible Reese's cup cookies. Possibly the most interesting point to come out of today is that the character of the vampire, etc, represents the dark side that exists in everyone.

0 comments: