Thursday, March 26, 2009

Talk to Me

Because I know that you all have your computers with you at the beach and in the ski chalet and doing all the other fun things you are doing this week, I thought I would post a little something that I read this week that made me think of you. (And I know that if you do have your computer, that you are probably also checking my blog at least once a day.) I am reading a book called Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. It is fascinating and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Islamic culture and literature. I have marked so many passages and turned down so many corners because I am just waiting for someone to come along who wants to talk to me about a book. :) (I know, I might be waiting a LONG time.) Anyway, here is the passage that reminded me of you all at this point in your life journeys:

It is written at a point when the author is considering leaving Iran for the United States.
"You get a strange feeling when you're about to leave a place, I told him, like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you'll never be this way ever again."

What do you think?

3 comments:

Robby said...

This excerpt really captures in a nutshell my feelings about graduating high school. I certainly am looking forward to something new and exciting, but at the same time, I am going to miss high school. The people are most definitely the thing that I will miss most, but I will also miss the whole high school experience. There are just so many things that occur in high school that do not occur at any other time in life, such as high school sports. Once I graduate, I will never be able to go back and experience those things again. After May 22, it will be off to the real world for all of us, where we will be required to take on more responsibility and grow up a bit. With that in mind, I know that I am going to miss being a kid.

Anonymous said...

I can think of nothing that I will miss. Granted high school was a great experience and I learned so much along the way, I am eager to get out into the world. Be my own person, make my own decisions and begin anew. It is a whole new chapter and a whole new beginning. And although there will be some things that I will feel nostalgic about, I am twitching with anticipation to get out and make my mark on the world.

Carmelita XD

Brooke said...

That passage pretty much sums up what I've been thinking over the spring break. For a while I was really apathetic towards graduation and people. I wasn't going to miss anyone or the old me. But after some growing up and dropping off some bitterness, I feel this exact way. It's true that I'm going to miss a lot of people, but this week I've been thinking about how much I've changed from year to year and how the impact of graduation and college is going to change me. I've realized I'll change the most in the next four years, and it'll be kind of exciting to look back and see the progress.